6 egg yolks
¾ c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
2/3 c. milk
1 ¼ c. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. mascarpone cheese
¾ c. very strong coffee
4 tbsp rum
2 x 3 oz. packages ladyfingers
2 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk yolks and sugar, add milk and cook over medium heat until thick. Boil 1 minute and chill covered for at least an hour until cool.
- Beat cream with 2 tbsp sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Mix cheese and yolk mixture until smooth
- Combine coffee and rum to dip the ladyfingers in.
- Depending on size and shape of dish, make 2 or 3 layers. Dip ½ or 1/3rd of the ladyfingers in the coffee rum mixture and layer on the bottom of dish. Spread ½ or 1/3 of cheese mixture, then ½ or 1/3 of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with a layer of cocoa powder. Repeat layers, finishing with a generous sprinkle of cocoa powder and garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
- Very important to cover and let this dessert rest in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let the flavours combine.
image via the province