Courtesy of my friend and nutrition guru Jennifer Sirounis.
Strawberry Apple Kale Smoothie
Yield: 1 serving
• 3 leaves of dinosaur or lacinto kale
• 6-8 frozen strawberries (it’s easier to blend if these are small, or halved before freezing)
• ½ organic crisp apple, like sweet orin, fuji, honeycrisp
• 3-inch chunk of organic English cucumber
• Small pinch of cinnamon
• 1-2 tsp raw honey (optional)
• 3 ice cubes
• Cold filtered water
1. Remove ribs from kale, and chop or tear into small pieces.
2. Remove core from apple, and chop into small pieces.
3. Chop cucumber into small pieces.
4. Using an immersion blender, or countertop blender, blend all ingredients until smooth, using enough water to thin to desired consistency.
• Raw honey has enzymes that help with carbohydrate metabolism, but if you’re looking to lower the glycemic index, try using a pinch of stevia instead of honey.
• To bump up the fruit flavour, try steeping a fruit tea bag and chilling. Use this instead of water.